Productivity Hacks brought to you by SOURCED
Whether you’re working from home in your sweatpants or in a dedicated office space, we’ve all had those moments, days or even weeks when the struggle to focus is real!
No matter what type of industry or position you’re in, we all have calls to make, meetings to host, places to be, multiple project deadlines, and an email inbox that rarely (if ever) gets to that 0 unread point. So when time is money and it's time to focus, how can we stay focused to maximize our productivity & work efficiently?
I asked this question to the SOURCED community where #radpeoplework, and received a motherload of valuable tips and tools to set your work days up for success.
Here are some of our favorite Productivity Hacks from the SOURCED. crew:
Turn the Notifications Off!
Yeah, limiting distractions can be easier said than done- but did you know that every distraction can cost you 30 minutes!? (according to The Muse). So when you need to get in the zone, that means shutting off anything that can take you off track - even if just for a minute.
Here are some ways to help stop common distractions:
1. Turn on a daily social media limit via the “screen time” application on your phone
2. Delete social media apps off your phone completely until your work is done
3. Turn off all notifications or silence your phone so you won’t be distracted by texts from friends
4. Place your phone completely out of sight - if you can’t completely shut your phone off during the work day, placing it out of sight will help keep interruptions out of sight but allow you to still hear it if it starts ringing
Embrace a Tidy Space
When you walk through SOURCED and notice the blank desk spaces, open shelving and organizing containers - know this set-up is not just for the cute decor, it’s to create a productive place to work!
Here’s what we recommend to create a productive work space:
1. Keep your desk space tidy & decluttered - with less objects in your surroundings you’re less likely to get distracted!
2. Add some inspiring energy to your workspace with some plants, a nice view or decor that represents your creativity and personality! Just make sure it doesn’t add clutter.
3. If you’re like me and have not been able to create this kind of space at your main desk, then move to your favorite coworking space or cafe, and don’t leave until you’ve finished all the work you need to get done!
Work that Work Schedule
If you have the freedom to control your schedule, it’s easy to just not have a set schedule then. However, for the team at SOURCED, we’ve found that we are most productive when we actually do set a standard routine or set time batches - at least for the days when we need to stay productive.
Here’s how you can set a schedule:
1. Start work at the same time everyday
2. Schedule blocks by the hour or even by the day to focus on a specific project or set of tasks.
3. Put these time blocks on your calendar! Unless it’s on your calendar, it's basically imagery.
Give it a break!
To keep your full focus and energy, you need to take dedicated (aka. planned) breaks throughout the day. Reaching burnout or fatigue is not going to help you stay productive.
This is how we break up our days at SOURCED:
Take a walk
Eat! Don’t work through your lunch or snack breaks, instead use this time to shut off for a bit
Truth: As you can see, we all work a little bit differently and it may take some trial and error to see what productivity hacks will work best for you - so the next time you’re unable to focus, give one of our SOURCED hacks a try and get back in your productivity groove!
Written by Nicole Prybula.
Nicole is a Corporate Event Producer that loves turning a standard business meeting into an impactful brand experience that attendees fall in love with. If Nicole isn't soaking up inspiration working with her co-workers at Sourced, it's because she's traveling and working from a cafe on the other side of the world. Find her online at www.cultivatedexperiences.com and follow her adventures on Instagram at @cultivatedexperiences